1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheighted Deaths

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by ThatOneGuy, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Industrial Re-revolutionist

Which brings up an interesting issue. What happens when a player dies in a vehicle wreck? Presumably a player's inventory would be added to the inventory of a wrecked vehicle, but the majority of plane crashes or shot down fightercraft and helicopters don't leave much wreckage behind. Would a random number generator be applied to see what would 'survive' the wreck to be salvaged, with more durable or tougher items such as armor or transported ore more likely to survive than say...volatiles such as fuel, ammunition, or organic cargoes?
  2. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

Well, we still don't know how will be vehicle riding at all.
    But as your corpse and the vehicle are physical entities, the corpse could just remain there ither than hacky ways.
    Damage of stuff could be done right when the accident happens.
    And if you have a corpse on something and that thing gets smashed/hit later the same damage mentioned above could be applied.
    Or no damage at all, it's not super important.
  3. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy Reinvented The Wheel

Gahhh.

Npcs npcs npcs!

The bros that have your back are npcs! They'll pick up yer corpse and bury it for you if want it. To making spawns, unless it's some sort of super cloning that takes up lots of energy and is super expensive, I don't think it will be very good when you have people who want to destroy you by just spawning back again and again until you have nothing left to hold him back. I think it would be OK if it took a ton of energy, and was hard to build and even harder to move, but I don't think it would be good if it was like a minecraft bed, where you can set spawn forever for just three wool and three wood.
  4. Eviscerator

Well, we are talking LATE-game technology, and I don't think a clone vat would be especially power intensive. What it WOULD require would be significant technological advancement in genetics to grow a clone, access to massive computational technology, and you'd definitely not be able to make a new clone instantly. I think you wouldn't even be able to store that many unless you also had a sort of cryogenic warehouse, which is another fairly massive investment to make.

And if you want FAST cloning? The only way I know of to manage that would be with nanotechnology. Which would require yet MORE computational capacity and ready supplies of high-quality organic materials as well as a freshly updated 'gestalt' or whatever we want to call the saved copy of memory and mind.

So, yeah..dying and cloning would be expensive, but not out of line for a well-established player with an off-world base, mothership, or heavily defended planetary base.

..I'm almost tempted to say it would be impossible for a single player to pull it off, it might require the assets of a clan or tribe, or someone playing in singleplayer mode. But balance in singleplayer mode can be played with, or just left up to the player. Not something I'm worried about.
  5. ThatOneGuy

Ok I was just making sure it wasn't going to be easy :D
  6. Eviscerator

Oh assuredly not. Easy things are never worth bragging rights!
  7. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    A good solution to the cloning vat balance problem could be that:
    • Each vat is fairly expensive, and requires exotic materials
    • It takes thirty minutes to make one clone
    This way, people would either need to keep out of harm's way for half an hour or risk dying and having respawn through a pod, which would cause them to lose all their skills, or at least a significant portion of them.
  8. tetryds

When you die, if you don't have a clone ready you should be given the option to wait whatever time it will take to finish or spawn on another way.
    It was not very clear on your comment so I'm highlighting it here.
    In fact, I had to read the last phrase three times to even know what you are talking about.

But you should be able to spawn instantly if there is a clone ready.
    Or wait whatever time it will takae to be ready, not always 30 mins.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
    tetryds, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited by tetryds; at Aug 10, 2014
  9. Eviscerator

I sort of figured it could take anywhere from a few minutes to an in-game week depending on what technological level you're at, and how much you're prepared to sacrifice in terms of resources. Perfect balancing can come later, what we're all agreed upon is that clones should be expensive in terms of time and resources, and most likely considerable quantities of both.

How many clones can be stockpiled, or how quickly they can be created will...likely be contingent upon just how easy it is to kill a player, and even more likely, subject to whatever the admin of a particular server feels best suits the needs of the players and the game.

I can see some servers that are more combat oriented having an almost TeamFortress or Quake level approach to respawning, and more...harsh, survival-oriented servers could take your character out of the game for up to an entire in-game day if you didn't have a clone standing by. Perhaps longer. Again, specifics will depend on how the game develops, and who runs a particular server.
  10. SpaceHippie

SpaceHippie Reinvented The Wheel

So if respawning is all about clones. Then what happens early game? We're suppose move through a tech progression. If respawning happens from clones from a industrial-techno infrastructure, then I can't respawn until late game?

Maybe I missed something.
  11. Eviscerator

No, we were discussing the possibility of balancing cloning as a way to make dying less inconvenient. As far as what happens early game? The developers haven't said anything one way or another, so we'd be just purely speculating. Most people think the player would have another character dropped from orbit in an area somewhere near either their base, or where they died.

The discussion about cloning is just a way to make death less inconvenient as you progress technologically, to simultaneously empower the player and give a sense of progression.
  12. Agarthan

Agarthan Reinvented The Wheel

Yeah I agree with depreciation of organic materials and such - but I don't know how you would do it with other items, lets say wolves ravaged your body before you got back, your clothing would definitely be ruined, but it's not like they are going to eat a gun or other items, but may be they could end up strewn around the area if something like that occurs, where they aren't gone but you have to try and hunt them down.
  13. tetryds

My idea is having multiple ways to respawn, you choose which is more convenient/available.
  14. Eviscerator

And the more convenient the option is, either the lower of a 'level' you are, or the more resources and time you've put into developing technology to mitigate the inconveniences of death. It balances out.
  15. ThatOneGuy

My posts earlier in the thread might give you some explanation.
  16. BanjoWarrior

BanjoWarrior Reinvented The Wheel

Maybe being a clone would give the player an identity crisis.
  17. Eviscerator

Unlikely if the player already comes from a culture where cloning is a mature technology.
  18. Damion Rayne

Damion Rayne Former Lead Designer

• Contributor
    Time for me to chime in on a lot of things,

Death is something that has already been extensively looked in to, and the process by which a player can recover from death has been looked in to as well. At great length. I don't want death to be meaningless trust me on that. I do want it to have meaning and to be impactful, but in a way that doesn't make you throw the keyboard at us, and instead offers you an opportunity to learn and grow from mistakes. What we do with death and how we handle it is still up in the air, and still something I'm willing to debate and receive feedback and opinion on, but the end result will be something that makes you care about the decisions you make whilst playing. I know this is vague /dev/ speak, but you'll just have to trust me on this.

-DR
  19. BanjoWarrior

BanjoWarrior Reinvented The Wheel

Can we get a bit more into what devs are thinking about death?
  20. Eviscerator

Oh, we do. Threads like this are only coming up because certain folks with red names have encouraged people to start suggesting the obvious.

So now the obvious is up for debate and conjecture.