1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When creatures are added...?

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Zinthak, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Zinthak

Zinthak Crash Landed

Will there not only be a diverse amount of animals, but also some, in a sense...'mythological' creatures? As was stated before there would be NPCs you could trade with, perhaps they'd have some 'mythological' creature like all cultures seem to have...perhaps creepy ones like The Rake and Slender Man, as well as fercious ones like The Yeti, and Loch Ness Monster. Would there be these nearly-rare-like creatures on these worlds as well?

Would be interesting to have some creepy small fast creature (a rake-like creature) crawling on your house at night and whispering some gibberish and tapping and clawing and what not, don't you agree? Would make the game a little more scary.

[​IMG]
    Eviscerator likes this.
  2. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Rare creatures as well as more commonplace ones? Why not! Creatures that NPCs generate some kind of lore around for being dangerous/majestic/whatever? Could be really cool, and would definitely add a further reason for local based exploration - could even tie in with missions that NPCs could generate for the player.
  3. Zinthak

Zinthak Crash Landed

Yes perhaps a killing quest, or surveillance quest, or a quest to find out if it actually exists. Could be different NPC's all over the entire planet in this sense, in different climates, with different mythological/rare creatures.
  4. scarere

scarere <Battle Scarred Jesus>

I like this Idea alot, you could defenitly tie it in with the NPC quests, and get some rare reward from killing the creature. I'm not so sure about tapping and knawing at your windows at night, that might just get annoying
  5. Zinthak

Zinthak Crash Landed

Well not all the time, just when he happens t find you, see you, or you get his attention somehow.
  6. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

Yes, good idea.
    Having epic creatures like bosses would be a nice addition to the game.
    We do have those in real life, but we are used to them already.
    They also tend to show in numbers rather than being single massive animals.
    But an "epic mountain bear" kind of animal would be a cool adition.
    Or even something bigger.
    But they don't need to be mithological, they can just be rare dangerous animals.
    Or not even dangerous, maybe capturing it alive could be more profitable, but harder.
  7. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    There does ought to be some kind of lore around some of the animals. That way, the game world would be more believable and more realistic. I think any sort of bosses should be technology-based primarily, since it makes much more sense to have these than to have singular animal bosses, as previously mentioned.
  8. tetryds

I don't think so.
    This is an alien planet, it's not that impossible for an animal to have a carapace that resists well to bullets.
    Technological bosses would not make much sense to exist wandering around the planet.
    Of course there can be a kind of "soldier" or whatever with better equipment, or even mechs or exo suits, but that's not what the OP suggests.
  9. scarere

scarere <Battle Scarred Jesus>

This is kinda off topic, but I think the NPC's should be able to talk, and actually make noise. When explaining the lore of the creature to you, you don't want to be slapped in the face with a mountain of words. A cool idea is that the player could kinda be shown like a story book, or cave drawings depicting the lore of the creature as the NPC is explaining it. We've all played those games where there is a mountain of words that you dont want to read, but if you don't read it then you dont get the full experience
  10. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Industrial Re-revolutionist

I like the cave-drawing idea in terms of lore, seeing as it is unlikely you and the NPCs would -have- a language in common, at least at the start. As far as bosses go, it makes sense to have animal bosses in the early to mid-game, while you're still trying to survive and build/civilize a base area.

Animal bosses could, of course, become considerably more problematical as time goes on and you encounter more creatures, or if the devs input a sort of biogenetic angle where you get to breed your own creatures.
  11. tetryds

Maybe your impact on the ecosystem can make these bigger animals hungry, and they will search for food and end up meeting your base.
    They would ofc be killed but that does not mean they wouldn't be able to do damage.
    About language, maybe being among somewhat intelligent aliens which are not from your species can allow the PDA to "learn" their language to allow for talking interaction.
  12. Eviscerator

Damage? Scary? Imagine killing something big, and the scent of carrion/pheromones attracts a rival/mate/rest of the pack while you're still trying to repair your defenses.
  13. Restless

Restless Terraformer

I sorta get what you're asking but at the same time I might still be a little confused.

Are you asking about animals that seem kind of unrealistic and implausible? Or animals that seem perfectly plausible but are cryptids due to the uncertainty of their existence?

If you're thinking along the lines of dragons and ents and the chimera of Greek mythology, because it's aliens you're talking about you can take a lot of creative liberties. For all we know, some wild animal aliens could be far more ferocious, utilize far more volatile stuff than fire, be far more intelligent and look far more exotic than a dragon and still be perfectly within the realms of plausibility as long as you think through how it would be plausible.

As for cryptids I think they would definitely exist without a doubt. Here on Earth every ecosystem has animals that are common, rare and everything in-between. Even in your own local habitat, even if you live in a city you might see pigeons every day, buzzards maybe once in a while, but nobody is going to believe that time you saw a deer in the parking lot in the middle of a bustling city miles from any green spaces. But that's just locally, travel far out enough to a country with lots of forest and suddenly deer are everywhere.

Globally rare animals I think are what you're thinking of, am I right? Something that is hard to find no matter where in the world you go and maybe just unusual enough for people to think it isn't real. Like how the platypus was a cryptid for a while because nobody who hadn't witnessed them thought such a thing could exist, or how the yeti while unconfirmed to this date could still plausibly exist.

tetryds, your idea could get very interesting if combined with the earlier mentioned idea of having a dynamic ecosystem. Rarely is a species hard to find because it's really good at hiding, in most cases it's either because they live in a habitat that humans can't explore easily (such as the bottom of the ocean) or because the species is in critical danger of becoming extinct.Surviving animals are probably going to be affected by whatever is driving their numbers so low so they are going to be desperate for food or aggressive or more cunning than they would be in their natural state.

I'm sick right now, would love to join in and chip in some more ideas but I'm beat. Maybe later.

EDIT: A third reason for species to be hard to find could be that they're apex predators where a single individual occupies a very large territory in order to have enough prey to hunt.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    Restless, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited by Restless; at Jul 24, 2014
    Benjamin likes this.
  14. tetryds

Yes, rare animals is what im thinking about.
    They would distribute like blue whales does on our world, they are big thus there are fewer of them.
    These could also domain large areas, and avoid contact with each other.
  15. Agarthan

Agarthan Reinvented The Wheel

Support this.
  16. Charles2531

Charles2531 Organic Supercomputer

I find it interesting that people seem to be suggesting that SoA be some type of Sci-fi, first person version of Dwarf Fortress.

You see, in Dwarf Fortress, despite the terrain generation only taking a few seconds per world, world generation can sometimes take nearly an hour because the game will simulate somewhere between 5 and 1050 years of civilizations forming, expanding, growing, fighting, etc., and uses this to generate a history of the world involving hundreds of thousands of historical figures, mythical beasts, and pages of lore... ...all of which randomly generated.
  17. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    And you're saying that isn't cool? The main issue with DF is that it's horrifically difficult in terms of interface. First person sci fi Dwarf Fortress would be awesome. And better! If SoA turned out to be FPSFDF, I would be fine with it.
  18. minicrafter8401

minicrafter8401 Reinvented The Wheel

Now this would be amazing, and about killing them, maybe you'll get something special that can help you in the wild!
    minicrafter8401, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited by minicrafter8401; at Jul 7, 2014
  19. tetryds

I agree, those animals may have some very sharp prey that you could use to make weapons, or poisons, hard bones and so on.
    Also food.
  20. Eviscerator

Hoping some species have eggs/kits/cubs you can domesticate, or at least tame. Guard dogs are a GREAT low-tech alternative to turrets.