1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When creatures are added...?

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Zinthak, Jun 4, 2014.

1. joppiesaus

joppiesaus Infamous Space-Octopus

I would love to see special creatures, but I would love to see some commons first.
    Like a sheep and a pig(but! this is a sci-fi game, so it would be different I guess)
    Also I hope there will be eggs and babies too.
  2. minicrafter8401

minicrafter8401 Reinvented The Wheel

That is a great idea! I hope this is one of the features added.
  3. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    This is an alien planet, so we will probably not see things like pigs or sheep. Maybe the alien equivalent, though.
  4. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Industrial Re-revolutionist

http://imgur.com/gallery/cixSiRk Bwuh.
  5. Arctic

• Tester
  6. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

I like the idea of some sort of rare mythical creature. It might be best to shy away from some of the more well known ones though. We could even have some completely original creatures running about and wreaking havoc :3
  7. Eviscerator

The devs have already said, in this very thread, that they're making original creatures. Whether or not they make super-rare or mythical species is still unknown, but they've confirmed they're not going to be copying out of a taxonomic text.
  8. Arctic

• Tester
    Perhaps there will be unicorns.
  9. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

Pfft, unicorns are so last year. I'm hoping for alicorns(unicorns with wings) riding the backs of those flying whales from that episode of Doctor Who that leave a trail of triple rainbows everywhere they go!
  10. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    This sounds like a really cool emergent behavior that could arise from a simple system, definitely within the realm of plausibility. As for language, that is an interesting idea, though it would require a lot of extra dialogue. Perhaps it would be worth it.

Having a dwarf fortress style city generator seems like a bit of a pipe dream, but it is a really cool idea. We are starting with a clean slate in SoA. We will have an excellent engine to build these features on, so anything is possible. We will never reach the complexity of dwarf fortress, but perhaps elements of it could be integrated into the game. I am a big fan of DF btw, but like you said, the interface really turns me away from it. I tried it for a while, died a few times, then stopped playing :p
  11. Arctic

• Tester
    Adventure!
  12. Eviscerator

Man..I love researching for this stuff.
  13. Restless

Restless Terraformer

Reading back I just thought of a kind of boss predator.

An ecological niche that kept showing up throughout history is that of the apex predator. These were (and in some places still are) usually large predatory animals that have a high demand for animal protein and thus need vast herds of game all to themselves to see them over for years to come. An individual could hold a territory far larger than one would imagine necessary, but it very much was because they needed all that meat plus a surviving breeding stock. They also lack the necessity of protection from a herd. What made these creatures apex predators was the fact that they were the top of the food chain, having no natural predators of their own.

The boss predator would be distinct from smaller carnivores in their behaviour. The killing of non-apex predatory species within the territory is a common behaviour seen in big cats, for example. This eliminates some of the competition for food. As for moving around in their habitat, there would be less scurrying away, less hiding, more free-roaming and more bold curiosity seen in the apex predator. Stalking and prowling are behaviours players would need to be especially alert of as these are hunting behaviours. Carnivores are usually intelligent and will eventually learn to fear humans because of their advanced weaponry, but some more intelligent species might be able to make the distinction between when a human is armed and when they are not.

Not all apex predators are solitary (see lions and wolves for examples of apex predators that are social most of the time) but most of them are solitary for most of the time due to their demands for food and space. Examples of apex predators that are mostly solitary include tigers and great white sharks.

Some apex predators that are usually solitary can occasionally congregate under certain conditions or for specific reasons such as breeding. Crocodilians and great white sharks do this. In-game there could be super rare swarms of apex predators, jackpot for the expert leisure hunter and an extreme survival challenge for those still making their way out of the wilderness.

I realize this contains ideas from other posts kind of mashed together in my head and spat back out so I don't take all credit for the idea.
    Restless, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited by Restless; at Jul 24, 2014
  14. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

Nice video, Evi.
    Would be a very cool and hard to survive planet, given you even need something to maintain the air pressure on your suit.
  15. Eviscerator

It would, near the surface, but one can see that sort of planet being a key candidate for 'cloud cities' like in Star Wars. Up at higher elevations where the atmosphere is thinner, and you may still be able to harvest the aerial plankton as food, and precipitate water out of the air. Solar powered zeppelin towns or something, but this was just more to illustrate the kinds of weird creatures we can run into on Aldrin.
  16. tetryds

Ah, right.
    Though, Aldrin is super simmilar to earth, it could have something between those creatures and what we see on our Earth.
    Serves great inspiration.
    Also, making an "evolution base" for example having every single animal from the niche those huge mosquitos came from having 3 eyes would be the best approach.
    Eagles hunt from high up the sky but don't have 3 eyes, they have 2 like every other animal that originated from normal fish.
    We can also abuse evolutionary convergence on that aspect, and apply more Earth things to animals while still allowing great creativity (we don't need to map the holes on the skull, for example).
    tetryds, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited by tetryds; at Jul 25, 2014
  17. Arctic

• Tester
    Well, if we're going to have voxel-based bullet penetration for soft bodies...
  18. Zinthak

Zinthak Crash Landed

On that note, it could be quite interesting to crash on a planet that's in the process of evolution...evolution is obviously a slow process but in the case of the game an animal could gradually change based on where it is and if a few species stay there in that environment, and at a faster pace since we obviously wouldn't play the game for 250,000 or so years in real time lol. An example being Europeans...obtained lighter skin from the low UV for more vitamin D and a longer nose so air gets warmed up before it gets to the lungs. Perhaps also there could be in time while playing the game, the planet itself could be on the verge of a 'mass extinction' from a large asteroid, or just from an unstable orbit or from a drastic warming or cooling of the planet as well...these would obviously be from temperature changes and could make the weather of the planet much more deadly. Since the game is set in the future I'm sure there would be some high tech materials for protection from such weather, or just live underground.

Obviously I'm trying to see how realistic the game can get with all I mentioned in the above paragraph lol.
  19. tetryds

Okay, just a few things about this.
    You clearly know it, evolution is always happening.
    The thing is that one of the only nature laws that we expect being applied to any complex alien lifeform are natural selection, some form of evolution, and water.
    Having different characteristics for simmilar lifeforms which live on different regions sounds super awesome, I didn't think of that before.
    It could be a bit of trouble to implement, maybe should set some of the characteristics procerudally based on altitude, temperature and humidity on that specific ecosystem?
    Basically use a base shape to create several new species from it.

Seeing species actually evolve in front of your eyes?
    Well, don't think this should happen, it would be much trouble to modify all living beings like that.
    Also, if the species evolved at that pace the mutation rate would have to be super intense, which could even cause some of those species to stop being compatible within itself or not keep up and go extinct.

Another thing is that mass extinction doesn't happen as fast as it sounds.
    They take hundreds of thousands of years to happen.
    In fact, some consider that the human impact is causing a mass extinction right now.
    Asteroid hitting Aldrin, that would be a mess, still have no idea how the game would manage catastrophical events if they happen.
    Meteorites randomly falling, as well as pieces of SOA, and causing ground damage on impact? Hell yes would be awesome.
    Some meteorites could be made of some rare stuff that you would want.
    Unstable orbit shouldn't happen, the impact even a slight variation could have is massive.
    tetryds, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited by tetryds; at Jul 31, 2014
  20. Zinthak

Zinthak Crash Landed

Yes well I DID mention I'd like to see it as realistic as possible lol. With the game changing a creature...evolving it in a sense...perhaps the game could extrapolate how many times the animal has died, it's weak spots, how fast, and by what...and perhaps the game could suddenly add or remove something to maybe...avoid this a little more? Whether it's armor plating, a spike or toxic spit maybe, or perhaps increase the intelligence of the animal to avoid them in that manner. But I'm sure that'd be a bit overly complex just for a game of which the goal is to get off the planet, and as well as you may never even see the said creature due to never having gone around the entire planet.