1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is caffeïne a programmers best friend?

Discussion in 'Nerd Out Zone' started by joppiesaus, Apr 24, 2014.

1. joppiesaus

joppiesaus Infamous Space-Octopus

This section description says:
    Pizza? Easy, pizza is fast, you can eat it from your hand, and it has an awesome taste!
    Caffeïne? Even my cat said this: Gets teh energy insides you!
    Okay, the energy... But I can't imagine that! I drink sometimes a drink which contains caffeïne but I don't get extra energy from it...

So: Why is caffeïne a programmers best friend?
  2. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Caffeine is not necessarily a chemical that introduces extra energy in to ones system - that is the job of your carbohydrates. It instead helps focus your mind on the task at hand, rather than be jumping from one thing to another (which always happens to me when programming because I will be writing something and go "OH MAH GOD I could do this too!" and sometimes drop what I was doing to write that down and develop the idea further). That it does this isn't necessarily something that you would notice easily, but scientific studies have shown this to be the case, as well as its effect having been noticed enough in common use that it has become known for the property of energy (I would say that could be to do with the fact that people associate being alert with being focused).
  3. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

Something that introduces energy is chocolate.
    And anything that you eat.
    Because matter is energy.
    And our lives are lies.
    joppiesaus likes this.
  4. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    Yeah I definitely don't NEED coffee to program. Honestly for me its just a comfort to have a cup of coffee and sip on it while I work. And I really think its a psychological thing, like placebo. Merely having the coffee makes me feel more focused, probably even I get decaf instead.

As for pizza, pizza just rocks. It's concentrated calories! Usually when I eat pizza though I am watching a movie or hanging out, not programming. But that's probably because I do my programming in the day usually.
  5. joppiesaus

joppiesaus Infamous Space-Octopus

A-ha! Being focussed in combination with a placebo effect... excellent for programming!
    Caffeïne rocks!

I also remember now the first time I tried an energy drink(A little can with loads of sugar and other nice acids)... While my friends stayed calm literally I lost myself(I am normally really calm). I had a kind of tunnel-vision and I was very energetic. Jumping, bouncing, dancing, screaming, unable to really think, heartrate goes wild... It was awesome(for one hour, then I was tired). I drunk it after that only one time, then I stopped(don't really know why though)
    Energy drink usually contains caffeïne. But when I drink for example a coke, nothing really happens with me(well, thanks to this thread I now realize that I am a little more focussed).
    The cause must be some other contents in that drink I think. I think that's funny.
    joppiesaus, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited by joppiesaus; at Apr 25, 2014
  6. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Yeah, energy drinks contain chemicals like Taurine which are much more potent than Caffeine, as well as, like you said, LOADS of sugar. That said, I have never been affected by energy drinks significantly, they never make me feel more awake, I just sort of don't sleep for a while after having one, so if it weren't for the fact the taste of most of them displeases my tastebuds I would probably be better off using them at night, because I can be super productive in the 23:00 - 03:00 period. Of course, doesn't stop me from being nackered in the morning, which can be quite bad when I have 7-8 hours of college the day after.
    PsychoticLeprechaun, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited by PsychoticLeprechaun; at Apr 25, 2014