1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will 2.0 update improve view distance?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UltraKhaos, Oct 20, 2014.

1. UltraKhaos

UltraKhaos Crash Landed

So few days ago I've got free 8 gigs of RAM from friend. Now I have 16 Gb Ram + 4 Gb VRam (GTX 770). One of the first things I did was messing with SoA, setting view distance to 500 so I could post some glorious screenshots. Unfortunately game crashes pretty fast, no matter how much ram I have.

So this is my question: will SoA improve on that matter in near future? I don't know how others feel about that but view distance for me is very important in open world game.

Anyway keep up good work guys! Can't wait for next update!

PS. Sorry for my grammar.
  2. Arpak

Arpak Moderator - Former CM

In fact, yes. You will be excited for 0.2.0 ;D
  3. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    0.2.0 will definitely improve your view distance! Ben has implemented a new system for storing voxel information that allows for the gloriously low RAM usage shown on the last stream he did! The reason that your amount of RAM (upwards of 4 gigs) does not matter for view distance in 0.1.6 is the game is 32-bit. While this will likely still be the case in 0.2.0, it will matter less as you will be able to see further for the same amount of used RAM!
  4. Arpak

Arpak Moderator - Former CM

As for the 32bit vs 64bit thing, I have pestered Ben about making it 64bit but at this time it really isn't needed, you will hit a limit on how much you can see from your GPU before the RAM, which is amazing if I say so myself.
  5. UltraKhaos

UltraKhaos Crash Landed

That's great to hear! Now I'm even more excited.

Too bad I couldn't watch that stream.
  6. Arctic

Arctic Giant Robot Advocate

• Tester
    Ohohoho will you be in for a treat.