1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows vs. Linux vs. Mac OS/x

Discussion in 'Nerd Out Zone' started by TYHENDER, Jul 17, 2016.

1. TYHENDER

TYHENDER Industrial Re-revolutionist

First of all i want to clear one thing. Windows 7 IS slower than 8. But 8 is shullbit(well, atleast for me)<and Windows 10 is clearly slower then Windows 7 and 8 altogether.

1.ACTUAL COMPARISON.

Fun facts: i`m not an Linux fanboy,i never used Mac OS/X much,.Mostly i will compare Windows (10) and Linux. (Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Zorin and some others.)

1.1.1. Why Windows 10 is comlete crapgarage in comparison to 7,8,XP .
    First of all,Microsoft knows everything you in Windows 10. EVERYTHING. And saying "I`m not an hacktivist or drugdealer,i have nothing to hide!" is SO COMPLETELY STUPID. If microsoft tells CIA that you use Tor Browser,CIA will get you try to leave your info confidential AKA you fight with the system AKA you are hactivist and potentially dangerous.

1.1.2. Windows 10 is slow.
    It`s not a secret that if every move is sending to Microsoft`s server,PC will run slower. Oh and yeah,be ready for horrible ping if you will say "I`m planting the bomb" in CS,because you are now spied by 10 CIA servers,FROM YOU OWN OS.

1.1.3. Horrible bugs.
    All that horrible Windows 7 and 8 bugs with updates ,netsvc,and other stuff is now x5 in Windows 10.

1.1.4.No Windows 11
    There won`t be anything for Windows 10 like Windows 7 for Vista,because Windows 10 life span is unlimited,it will bbe updated forever with no changes!

1.1.5. Ha,now Microsoft can block your winodws.
    Title of this part tells everything you need to know.

And that`s not everything. Now your Windows 10 license is linked to your Microsoft account,where you most probably left your e-mail there. Get ready for Egyptian Princes(From Microsoft) to write to you.(and possibly wanting to date).And there`s a lot os other stuff like Metro,but i`m tired to talk about it. But what is there is enough to tell you that Windows(10) is shullbit.(Just a censor)

And now i`m going to shit Linux.
    1.2.1. No software.
    Noone uses Linux,and noone sells paid software,so noone gets money for further development. So all Linux software is buggy and/or undone.
    1.2.2. Nothing is unified.
    Every distro uses it`s own systems.
    Causes much,much problems. Program that ran 4 yrs ago,most probably won`t run on new Linux distro.
    1.2.3.GNU slowly dies.
    Believe me or not,GNU was much more active 10 years ago,and even that they still make&update awesome software,they have the same problem as other Linux developers.
    1.2.4. Phew,that`s all i know.
    But not all that makes Linux worse.

1.3.1.I know nothing about Mac OS/X
    And that`s also the problem. It`s so expensive that i know nothing about it!I never tried it!
    I think apple should sell it atleast little less expensive.

2. EPIC EPILOGUE

Right now it`s too hard to choose between Linux and Windows(But not too hard to choose Windows 7 out of all Windows) so i recommend you to do like i did,i have both Xubuntu And Windows installed on my computer. But when Windows 7 and 8 support will be stopped, it won`t be too hard to choose linux.
    About Mac OS/X. Right now there`s 20% of users using Mac,while only 7% is using Linux.But believe me,in next 1-3 years Mac OS/X ussers will be less,and more Linux users. About Windows.... I don`t think that anyone will switch from Windows 7,but when 2019 comes,and Windows 7(and 8) support will be stopped,it will be a signal of Microsoft`s imminent death. They still have chance to cancel Windows 10, or atleast fix bugs in it,Then maybe Microsoft will still be leading in OS development.

Right now eveything we have to do is wait(And do awesome stuff for Linux,you don`t need to be an programmer,join us at gnu.org!).
  2. TYHENDER

Phew,so much text,i can`t even read it by myself.
    Anyway i was serious about joining us at GNU,so please listen to me,and do atleast something like 1337 talker,everyone will be very glad.
  3. TYHENDER

h,and if you want to browse some info by yourself,dont trust netwin or techspot,or you`ll get brainwashed.
  4. NeonSturm

NeonSturm Back Into Space

You know you can edit posts, or not?
    The problem of GNU is not Linux but the 7% users.

What we need is a free-software, free-to-use, free-to-share, free-to-change software on which you can play the games you can currently only play on Windows.

Do you know how something grows bigger if it has already 73% (100-20-7) market share? It eats others and make others be shit because it can only grow by shitting others.
    A free market is good as long as no-one tries to dominate others. As long as the best offer gets chosen and not the most often propagated offer.

Hard domination starts at 40-50% (Microsoft is above) because unfair market users will have an advantage over fair users and are "Alternativelos" (alternatives missing) as Angelika Merkel would say.
    But domination starts when it's easier to fight a competitor than to grow without fighting. Fighting is not to gain, but to minimize losses - so when does fighting result in less losses than not fighting others?
    When someone has <10% market share and reputation to lose!

These "Alternativlose" Monopol-Market participants are untouchable because they have POWER gained through the BELIEVE of USERS into THEIR products and they have all support of governments (Let's save the capitalist banks with money from "deutsche Bürger" (german citizens, but it can also mean "those who voucher for", guarantor or bondman - the same word in german).

And now let's think who gains "power from believe" … think … think! … think? … summary: Gods!
  5. TYHENDER

Let's say i have nothing to say to your comment.
    But,in fact not 7% of people use Linux ,but more. There's no way to get how many people use Linux,because most of Linux distros does not need to be bought/registered.
  6. NeonSturm

7% was the number from OP.
    If a user uses multiple systems, he will put less energy into one. Perhaps 7% is true if you count "pure Linux users"
  7. TYHENDER

Yeah,i use linux,but i'm totally not in that 7%.
  8. Gingy

Gingy Back Into Space

I think there's more or less downsides to Linux, depending on what you need your OS to do. Here's some issues I've noticed people have with Linux that don't personally bother me:

• The out-of-the box experience is bare bones compared to Windows.
    • When you have to install drivers, it's a pain in the ass for even an experienced user. (there's a caveat for GPU drivers, since most major distros have a much more user friendly way of handling driver updates)
    • Controller support is a crap shoot, since most people who port to Linux apparently don't know about SDL, and there doesn't seem to be a better way to handle controller support (yet)
    • The closest thing to finally having a universal standard for applications across distros is being fragmented by the biggest issue with linux: everything that isn't really low level shit is not and probably won't ever be standardized
    • You have exactly three practical options for video editing software, only one of them has the power of something like Sony Vegas, and the latter has a terrible UI
    Now, when you read this, keep in mind the list of issues with Windows I could come up with is roughly four times longer than that. This isn't just me bashing Linux. This is just things I feel need to be addressed for Linux operating systems to be competitive with Windows. As someone who has used a Linux OS as my daily driver since August of 2015, I can assure anyone who hasn't tried it, or hasn't tried it in more than two years, that the OS is not nearly as difficult to use as people make it out to be.

For example, if you don't want to use a terminal, every major Linux distribution has a program that works like the Add/Remove software settings in the Control Panel, but on steroids. You can use that to install software, which is 90% of what anyone still uses a terminal for on Linux. If you're running something Debian based, (most Linux users are) a lot of software will give you a file that is basically the equivalent of a steup.exe file on Windows.
  9. TYHENDER

As someone who used Linux less than you, I can assure everyone all problems described here are true,but fixable.
    • The out-of-the box experience is bare bones compared to Windows.
    Plz explain wat you mean as out-of-the-box. I guess I just live in a bunker :laugh:

• When you have to install drivers, it's a pain in the ass for even an experienced user. (there's a caveat for GPU drivers, since most major distros have a much more user friendly way of handling driver updates)
    "True GNU guys" want everything to be Open-Source,including drivers. that means no drivers from NVidia,AMD, Intel, etc. A lot of stuff in Linux systems that are hardware-specific(including drivers) was done with reverse-engineering, which is mostly illegal.

• Controller support is a crap shoot, since most people who port to Linux apparently don't know about SDL, and there doesn't seem to be a better way to handle controller support (yet)
    I don't even own a controller ;-;. I finished DS3 on keyboard. But yeah, I saw alot of people having problems with controllers, and official GNU project doesn't even have a project for cotroller support.

• The closest thing to finally having a universal standard for applications across distros is being fragmented by the biggest issue with linux: everything that isn't really low level shit is not and probably won't ever be standardized
    I'd say GUIs are almost standardized, lol.
    • You have exactly three practical options for video editing software, only one of them has the power of something like Sony Vegas, and the latter has a terrible UI
    What are they? I was running a Linux distro specialized in video editing under virtual machine to edit videos while in Linux.
    [​IMG]

Windows IS easier to use for now, and problem I found is that there's no distro packed with EVERYTHING you would need. I had to install a lot of stuff to make it easier to work.

Attached Files:

10. NeonSturm

Out.of.the.Box™ →» Offer a sacrifice of yourself to the mercy of foreign software and let it run havoc instantly :laugh:

Illegal Reverse-Engineering is an illegal counter to the devil's (devil=dom/home of evil) marketing practices.
    { the Phoenician/Latin origins are: aleph-beth,calf,dom,… depicting A:pelvis(male), B:breasts(female), C:uterus(gives birth), …;
    – the Phoenician aleph-beth is a subset out of 500 Phoenician letters.
    – the letters are 1.constructed(uTube) 2.using(here) 3.geometry(full) (circle, 2 circles from an ellipse, 3 circle intersections form a tetra or "twisted corner", …
    } one drop of wisdom at a time ;)

I don't use controller, my keyboard and mouse break often enough alone (I have reserve ones).
    But I fight the pain of not being able to config your controls when playing games like SM too.
    Even after I submitted a script describing how it's done with active/inactive translation tables.
    (in short: inactive, active for the next key, active until deactivated, order of activated tables, registering/disabling/sorting events on keys).
    I don't edit videos, but I miss gimp being installed by default and also the fruity-loops UI when using rosegarden.
    While it is not impossible to setup hydrogen and stuff along rosegarden, it is some amount of work every now and then when you switch distros and forgot how exactly you did it last time.
    I miss a feature which draws layers depending on math entered.
    Sometimes typing the math is faster than using gimp's tools, especially when using whole-ratios like 1/2, 2/3 and if you can position your first axis between 2 points and the second axis perpendicular to that toward a third point you name. I also use Bezier-Curves a lot in JavaScript canvas.

This isn't a good tool to edit videos, but at least I can edit GIFs with it.
    First in Blender and then in JavaScript where I know how everything I need works.​
    NeonSturm, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited by NeonSturm; at Mar 20, 2017