1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Won't Launch

Discussion in 'Seed of Andromeda' started by Wisler, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Wisler

Wisler Crash Landed

Anytime I run the SOA file I get a white loading screen but it doesn't do anything. Is my computer not good enough?
    Also I did run the vcredist_x86 application.
  2. tetryds

tetryds cus tet, that's it

Some people are having some specific problems, I'm not sure what it is about, but the next release may fix most of them.
    What's your specs, OS and can you please try to take a screenshot of the black console when it happens?
    Thanks.
  3. Wisler

Wisler Crash Landed

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M430 @ 2.27GHz
    4GB RAM (3.8GB usable)
    64-bit
    Windows 7
  4. tetryds

That might help Ben a lot.
    If you have a dedicated graphics card, try to update their drivers:
    AMD: http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/amd-catalyst/Pages/catalyst.aspx
    NVIDIA: http://www.geforce.com/drivers

If you don't have dedicated GPU, please download the latest drivers here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=2nd+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+3000%2f2000

Tell if it works.
  5. Benjamin

Benjamin Lead Developer

• Dev Leader
    Ahh thats why. Your graphics card is opengl version 2.1, whereas the game requires opengl 3.0 in order to run properly. Tetryds is right about downloading drivers, but if its an old card or an intel card chances are it may not work even with an update. I chose to go with opengl 3.0 because it lets me better optimize the game for more modern PC's.

Opengl 3.0 came out in 2008, 6 years ago, so I feel that it is new enough to make it the standard for SoA. http://www.opengl.org/wiki/History_of_OpenGL

EDIT: 6 years not 8 years... Thanks whoisthatkidd :p
  6. tetryds

I bring good news.
    I'm not sure if all i5 models have integrated graphics, but yours likely have.
    If updating the drivers does not work, you can set your pc to run on the integrated graphics and it will work fine.
    The framerate will not be as good as if it ran on most dedicated graphics card, but it will still be playable given that Ben is optimizing the game as much as possible to allow everyone to play it.
  7. jessenic

jessenic Web Developer

• Dev Member
    • Lead Moderator
    Your GPU is Intel Mobile Graphics Media Accelerator, which does not support OpenGL 3 even with driver updates. I have that too in one i5 laptop from 2011-ish and you cannot play SoA without getting a new computer.
  8. tetryds

Oh, i didn't check the graphics processor of his processor model specifically.
    Maybe if the laptop has room for a GPU, getting one that supports it could make the game playable.
  9. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    You can't customise a laptop in that manner, GPUs are embedded on the laptop motherboard. You can, however, attach an external GPU if you are desparate (it isn't the best way to do this, and for the cost of getting an external GPU, you may as well go the whole hog and buy a budget PC tbh - they don't cost too much and would last much longer. Plus, older laptops probably wouldn't suit it (may not even work with older laptops).
  10. tetryds

Buy a desktop, it's much cheaper then.
    I saw some standalone laptop GPUs, but that might be just me misunderstanding what that stuff really was, or maybe they were the external ones.
  11. PsychoticLeprechaun

PsychoticLeprechaun Designer & Web Developer

• Dev Member
    Standalone laptop GPUs are for custom laptops that are built by people at places like Scan, I personally would avoid messing with laptops if you are doing anything but changing out the RAM, HDD/SSD or optical drive. It is much simpler to just save up for a decent desktop that would last you ages (mine has lasted me nearing three and a half years so far and I have yet to have a major issue with it - was a budget PC too; limited myself to around the £650 mark).